- All entries are judged by members of The Telly Award Judging Council, a membership-based division of The Telly Awards.
- Judges evaluate entries to recognize distinction in creative work—entries do not compete against each other. Instead, entries are judged against a high standard of excellence. Empowered to uphold the historical standards of the Telly competition, judges may award top honors to more than one entry or no entries in a particular category.
- Judges score entries on a performance scale and winning entries are recognized and awarded Gold, Silver, or Bronze based on the combined scoring of the judges who evaluate each entry.
- All decisions of judges are final.
- Reminder: all work must be either in, or subtitled, in the English Language.
Judge Criteria: All entries are assessed against the following criteria
- Content & Quality of Message
- The Content and Quality of Message is measured by the Flow, Coherency, and Creativity of the piece. The quality of the content’s message is measured by how well the content’s story or idea is presented, as well as how well the piece can hold the audience’s attention. High scoring content will consist of a well planned through line and cohesive elements that contribute to the overall presentation of the work. Furthermore, content will exemplify originality and creativity within its context. Judges will consider the strength of the concept and message being evaluated respective to the category entered.
- Production & Execution
- Production & Execution is judged on the overall Production Value of the work entered. Does the piece provide a positive production experience? Does it demonstrate extraordinary production values and excellence in terms of its overall production, the extent to which it demonstrates very good use of resources, its use of cutting edge technology or production practices, its multidisciplinary approach? Are there other reasons either specified by the entrant themselves or very obvious in the judge’s opinion that make this entry stand out from a production perspective? Elements to be considered include quality of the captured image, editing, the sound design and audio integration, the performances, lighting, camera angles and all aspects that account for a memorable viewing experience, however these are not to be weighed against one another, rather viewed as parts of a whole. Within specific Craft categories, (editing, audio, lighting, cinematography) the pieces will be scored on those crafts alone within their craft category and given more weight.
- Overall Experience
- Overall Experience is centered on the overall impact of the piece and how well it fits within its entered category. Work scored highly within this criteria will bring innovation and enthusiasm to its category, as well as a positive viewing experience. Judges will consider how the piece was executed and realized by its creators. A video or television piece can be more, or less, than the sum of its parts. Was it impactful? Was the tone and medium appropriate for the story or concept? Do the production values seamlessly enhance your viewing experience? Does this piece represent the best the category has to offer?
Judging for the People’s Telly Award:
- All entries into The People’s Telly Award are first shortlisted by judges, before being shared publicly on The People’s Telly Award voting platform.
- The public will vote and ultimately decide the Gold, Silver and Bronze Winners
- Each entrant will receive notification via email confirming receipt of their entries.
- After judging is completed, winners will be alerted of their selection and provided the opportunity to purchase statuettes and other memorabilia to commemorate their honor.
- Entrants whose work is not chosen will be notified following completion of judging.
Joining the Telly Awards Judging Council
- If you or one of your colleagues is a past Telly Winner or an industry executive and you would like to be considered for membership in the The Telly Award Judging Council, apply here.